Crime

Jharkhand’s notorious gangster Aman Sahu killed in police encounter

Jharkhand’s notorious gangster Aman Sahu killed in police encounter

Notorious gangster Aman Sahu, accused of over 150 crimes across multiple states, including Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh, was killed in a police encounter on Tuesday morning in Chainpur, Palamu district, officials said.

Sahu had been lodged in Raipur jail for the past few months. Jharkhand Police took him on remand for questioning in connection with recent criminal incidents.

While being transported from Raipur to Ranchi on Monday night, his gang allegedly ambushed the police convoy near Andhari Dhoda in the Chainpur police station area, using a bomb. During the attack, the police vehicle lost control.

According to the police, Sahu took advantage of the chaos, snatched a weapon from a police jawan, and attempted to escape while opening fire. In retaliation, the police shot him dead. A police jawan was also injured in the exchange of fire.

Assam Police foils drug peddling bid; narcotics worth Rs. 30 crore seized

Assam Police foils drug peddling bid; narcotics worth Rs. 30 crore seized

Assam Police foiled a major drug peddling bid and narcotics worth Rs 30 crore were seized by the security personnel, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Tuesday.

The police have seized over 80,000 Yaba tablets in the operation in Cachar district that have an international market value of at least Rs. 30 crore.

Taking to his X handle, Sarma wrote, “Massive Drug Bust in Assam: 98,000 Yaba Tablets Seized Worth ₹30 Crore! Thanks to credible Intelligence, @cacharpolice launched an anti-narcotics operation in Chandrapur Part II, Kakmara, under Lakhipur Police Station, resulting in the arrest of a suspect with 98,000 Yaba tablets valued at ₹30 crore and ₹3.5 lakh in cash.”

“Kudos to @assampolice for their tireless efforts towards a #DrugFreeAssam”, he added.

Karnataka : Two arrested in gang rape case of Israeli tourist & homestay owner

Karnataka : Two arrested in gang rape case of Israeli tourist & homestay owner

In a major development, Karnataka Police arrested two persons on Saturday in connection with the horrific incident of three persons committing gang rape on two women, a tourist from Israel, and a female local homestay owner and killing a male Indian tourist who was with them.

The incident was reported from the Gangavathi Rural police station located close to the UNESCO heritage site Hampi.

The arrested persons are identified as 22-year-old Mallesh aka Handi Malla and 21-year-old Chetan Sai Sillekyatar. Both are arrested by the Koppal Rural police. Both the arrested accused are locals and residents of Sainagar in Gangavathi taluk in Koppal district.

Tourist from Israel, homestay owner gang raped in Karnataka; man from Odisha killed after being pushed into canal by rapists

Tourist from Israel, homestay owner gang raped in Karnataka; man from Odisha killed after being pushed into canal by rapists

A horrific incident of three persons committing gang rape on two women, a tourist from Israel, and a female local homestay owner and killing a male Indian tourist who was with them, came to light on Saturday in Karnataka.

The incident was reported from the Gangavathi Rural police station located close to the UNESCO heritage site Hampi.

The accused pushed three other tourists who were with the two women into a nearby canal before targeting the females.

The rape victims are recovering at the hospital while the body of the tourist from Odisha was found in the Tungabhadra Left Canal near Sanapura village near Gangavathi town on Saturday.

The deceased tourist has been identified as 40-year-old Beebas.

144 Gujarat fishermen in Pak jails, none released last year

144 Gujarat fishermen in Pak jails, none released last year

As of January 31, a total of 144 fishermen from Gujarat remain in Pakistani jails, the state government informed the Legislative Assembly on Wednesday.

In the one year from February 1, 2023, to January 21, 2024, Pakistan released 432 Gujarat fishermen. However, no fishermen have been released since then.

The number of arrests of Gujarat fishermen by Pakistan has drastically decreased, the government said. Between February 1, 2023, and January 31, 2024, only nine Gujarat fishermen were detained by Pakistani authorities. In the following year, 13 fishermen were arrested, marking a slight increase.

CBI foils railway paper leak, arrests 9 officials with Rs 1.17 crore

CBI foils railway paper leak, arrests 9 officials with Rs 1.17 crore

Nine railway officials have been arrested and booked along with unknown candidates by the CBI over a Departmental Examination Paper Leak Scam under the East Central Railway at Mughal Sarai on the eve of the exam scheduled for Tuesday, an official said.

Overall, 26 Railway officials have been arrested in this case so far, he said, adding that investigators also seized Rs 1.17 crore reportedly collected from the candidates for leaking the question papers.

East Central Railway had scheduled a Departmental Examination on Tuesday for the posts of Chief Loco Inspectors.

During checks conducted by the CBI at three spots past midnight on March 3 at Mughal Sarai, a total of 17 candidates were found with photocopies of hand-written question papers, the official said.

Odisha youth kills father, mother, sister over family dispute

Odisha youth kills father, mother, sister over family dispute

A youth on Tuesday allegedly killed his father, mother and sister over a family dispute in Odisha's Jagatsinghpur district on Tuesday.

The accused has been identified as 22-year-old Surykanta Sethi of Dhoba Sahi of Jayagada village.

"Suryakanta killed his father Prasanta Sethi alias Kalia, mother Kanakalata Sethi and sister Mamali Sethi by hitting their head with either a stone or an iron object. The Inspector in charge of the Sadar police station and team launched an investigation after reaching the crime spot in the morning. The accused has also been nabbed. It seems he has some mental health issues," said Bhawani Sankar Udgata, the Jagatsinghpur Superintendent of Police.

One of the villagers, who informed the police about the ghastly incident, told media persons that Suryakanta on Tuesday came to his house and informed him about killing his parents and sister. The villagers rushed to his house where the bodies of deceased persons were found in a pool of blood.

Family with 10-year-old boy mysteriously disappear into woods in Karnataka

Family with 10-year-old boy mysteriously disappear into woods in Karnataka

A family staying at a resort in the Bandipur of Karnataka's Chamrajnagar district has mysteriously disappeared into the woods, police said on Tuesday.

The missing persons have been identified as 40-year-old J. Nishanth from Bengaluru, his wife Chandana and their 10-year-old son.

According to Gundlupet Police, the family checked into the Country Club near Bandipur on March 2 and went missing the next day.

The family left the luggage in the resort's room, went out in a car and never returned. The police stated that the family had travelled in their car to Mangala Road in the Bandipur forest area and disappeared from there. The police have lodged a missing case.

Dreaded Maoist surrenders with family in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur

Dreaded Maoist surrenders with family in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur

In a major success to the government’s ongoing anti-naxal operation, Dinesh Modium, a Naxal commander with a Rs 8 lakh bounty on his head, reportedly surrendered to security forces along with his wife and children.

His surrender is seen as a significant blow to the Naxalites' Gangaloor Area Committee.

According to reports, Dinesh Modium, who was wanted for over 100 murders and numerous attacks, surrendered under increasing pressure from security forces.

Home Minister Amit Shah has set a target to make Chhattisgarh Naxal-free by March 31, 2026.

Security forces have been conducting operations to apprehend Naxalites, leading to several arrests and seizures of banned materials.

Harassment case of Union Minister’s daughter: Maha Police arrest three men, detain minor

Harassment case of Union Minister’s daughter: Maha Police arrest three men, detain minor

The Jalgaon police in Maharashtra have arrested three persons and detained one minor in connection with the harassment and molestation of Union Minister Raksha Khadse’s daughter.

The harassment occurred last Friday. The police sources said they nabbed Aniket Bhoyi, Kiran Mali, Anuj Patil and one minor. The police have registered offences against seven persons while it has launched a search for others linked to the case. The police swung into action following a complaint by Minister Raksha Khadse’s security guard in the early hours of Saturday.

The arrest of four persons comes after Union Minister Khadse expressed serious anguish over the incident, saying, "If the daughter of a Union Minister and an MP is being molested, what about others?" She also spoke to CM Fadnavis and demanded strict action against those involved in the case.

Back Page 2
 
Download Mobile App
--%>